Archives of Personal Papers ex libris Ludwig Benner, Jr.
[Investigation Catalyst Software ] [ Investigation Research Roundtable Site ]
- - - - - -Last updated 12/29/13
[ Contact "me" at ludwigbenner.org ]
This is a list of A/V presentations of various kinds, presented or prepared for presentation at local, national and international meetings of various kinds.
- ESEReDA45 13. Standardizing Safety Investigation Inputs to Reduce Risks. This paper calls for a new user-centric, non-causal based investigation paradigm including the standardization of investigation input data and its integration in graphic displays. A movie of the presentation can be requested by sending me an email addressed to luben at this web site. View paper or slides.
- OLLICourse 12. The Mysterious Disappearance of Flight 447. These slides supported a couse about the disappearance of Air France flight 447, its subsequent investigation and findings presented to members of a university affiliate for retired citizens still interested in learning. It led to a discussion of changes to make flying safer for the participants. View slides.
- IC 10. Investigation Catalyst Matrix Elements. Slides created for a private presentation in 2010, showing the elements of an MES matrix, as potential standard for integrating documented source data inputs into an accident investigation. View slides.
- KOK10. Improving Safety Through Investigation: How NTSB's HazMat Investigations made a difference, 1969-1982. Slides with many photos, presenter narrative. View slides.
- HPRCT 10. Transforming Experience into Performance Improvement. presented paper at HPRCT Conference, Baltimore MD September 2010. Propposed focus on standardizing investigation building blocks used to reconstruct accident scenarios. View paper or slides.
- ISASI 09. Sifting Lessons from the Ashes: Avoiding Lost Learning Opportunities. was coauthored by ira Rimson, and was presented at the International Society of Air Safety Investigators 40th annual seminar. Focuses on bringing about behavior changes, through a better learning system and analyses. Introduces "retrocursors" concept. View slides
- ISSC 09. Lessons Learning System Analysis and Assessment was coauthored by William L. Carey, and was presented at the International System Safety Conference, Huntsville AL in 2009. A distinctive feature of professional technical performance is self-appraisal and continuous improvement of one's professional career. Criteria for such appraisals were presented. View slides
- ESReDA36-09. Lessons Learning System Attributes: An Analysis" delivered at the 35rd ESReDA seminar in Coimbra Portugal. The paper documents a lessons learning system that incorporates 26 system attributes and 8 strategic system alternatives for improving lessons learning system performance. View slidesand paper.
- WAHMR 09. Historical milestones on the way to hazardous materials emergency response progress1870--1982 A 2009 presentation to Wisconsin Association of Hazardous Materials Responders. Slides with illustrations and list of major players with pioneering roles in HazMat response advances. View paper or slides.
- SSTS 08. Investigation Lessons Learning System Flaws and Fixes. tutorial prepared by myself and William D. Carey, was presented at the Washington DC Chapter of the System Safety Society 2008 System Safety Training Symposium in LaPlata MD. View slides
- IRIA 03. My 2003 research report on "Investigating Investigations" was scheduled for delivery to the IRIA 2003 Conference but the session was cancelled because of a hurricane threat. Compares MES with RCA investigation method.The paper is posted on this site. View paper and slides.
- AI TRAINING 02. Accident Investigation: Safety's Hidden Defect"Investigating Investigations A 1993 62 slide presentation duplicates much of SAE 80, reporting then current research findings about accident investigation shortcomings, and suggesting alternatives.Edited in 2002. Subsequently used to introduce investigation training. First public proposal to bifurcate investigation outputs into explanatory description and analyses. View slides.
- SANDIA 94. A 1994 presentation on Investigation Quality Control was accompanied by a large chart, created by Ira Rimson and me, which is posted here. View paper containing poster elements or View the poster.
- EXPLORE AI 93. Exploring the Art of Investigation. A 51 slide presentation explores the art of investigations, and its challenges, opportunities and their realization. Part 1 of a 3, identifying investigation problems, as viewed in 1993. View slides.
- SSS91. Applying System Safety to the Recommendation Process paper was presented with slides at a 1991 System Safety Conference in Washington DC. Made case for formalizing descriptions of systems being analyzed. View paper and slides
- McGILL 88, "PRINCIPLES OF SAFETY MANAGEMENT", slide presentation to Course on Occupational Health and Safety for Physicians and Safety Directors, McGill Institute of Management, McGill University, Ste Hilaire, Quebec Canada. View presentation with notes.
- Virginia Department of Emergency Services, Hazardous Materials Task Force Meeting. I conducted a table top simulation of an emergency response to a hazardous materials spill across two jurisdictions, including the Passing of the White Hat. 1985. (trying to locate copy)
- SAE 80. Accident Investigation: A Case for New Perceptions and Methodologies was a 1980 research report to the SAE. The slide presentation accompanying the paper can be viewed here. The presentation suggests some new ways of resolving investigator's dilemmas. 61 slides. View slide show.
- REGULATING RISK 78.Presentation during FIFTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM , PACKAGING AND TRANSPORTATION OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS, Los Vegas NV, Nove 28 1978. I was member of a panel that discussed The Role of Risk Assessment in Establishing Transportation Regulations. The discussion is reported in the Proceedings, Volume II. View transcript pages.
more to follow as they are processed for posting, including:
- MES03 presentation
- C03102 tutorial
- OLLI 447 slides